May 25, 2012

Food Tasting # 7: Quido's Grill

Last Saturday, we traveled all the way to Roxas Boulevard for our initial food tasting with Quido's Grill. Since I spent my last two food tastings sampling the dishes of caterers that I know I couldn't afford, it was now time to get serious with our wedding preps and find a caterer that is within our limited budget. Luckily, Quido's fits that bill perfectly.

Unlike the private food tastings that we had with the previous caterers, our food tasting with Quido's was held two hours before an actual wedding, and in the actual reception venue to boot! Ms. Gina, the proprietress of Quido's, invited us to a wedding in the Ramon Magsaysay Center in Manila so that we could see their styling in person instead of just looking at pictures of their sample setups.

I've heard that Quido's setups were just basic, so I was expecting that their styling would only involve matching the linens with the couple's motif. But I was really shocked when I saw their setup at the RMC last Saturday. Ang ganda! The motif was black and red, and Quido's was able to make plain function hall look beautiful and classy. Just look at the pictures and see for yourself. (ADDENUM: The couple's backdrop isn't part of Quido's package; it was sourced from a different supplier. According to sis kohlrouge, it was from Mr. Hardinero. Thank you sis for reminding me about this.)


Not really part of Quido's package. :P

I loved how the drapes and the Japanese lanterns were able to conceal the drab ceilings and add a touch of elegance to the venue. Now I understand why people would pay a large amount of money just for those pieces of cloth. Ang ganda naman kasi eh! I also thought I was okay with having monoblock chairs for the guests, but when I saw all those tiffany chairs, I suddenly changed my mind. Now I want tiffany chairs for our guests! Oh diba, fickle-mindedness at its finest! Of course, that would mean additional expenses if we would choose another caterer, but with Quido's, the tiffany chairs are already included in their packages. So I give points to them for that.

But what really made us stop and stare were their centerpieces. For this wedding, Quido's used tall branches with little votive candles hanging on them. It might seem too plain at first, but once all lights were turned off and the candles are lit, that's when you'd see the true beauty of this centerpiece. I wasn't able to take pictures of the centerpieces with the lights off because guests were already arriving in the venue so we had to leave. Use your imagination na lang. Basta the effect was so dreamy and romantic.

The only problem that I had with the setup was that the tables were a bit crowded since they tried to sit so many people in one table. It made eating a bit tricky because I kept on bumping elbows with my brother. But it could be because the wedding had supposedly 230 guests so they had to find a way to fit all those people in the RMC.

Now it's time to judge Quido's food. We were served nachos, which is part of their Mexican bar, for the appetizer. My mom owns a food stall that sells her homecooked nachos and tacos, so she has very high standards when it comes to Mexican food. Unfortunately, Quido's nachos failed to impress her. The sauce was not spicy and there was barely enough meat in it, just lettuce and cheese. Plus, the nacho chips weren't crunchy at all! I'm sad to say that this dish was a disappointment.

Nachos
Our five main entrees—beef, chicken, fish, veggies and pasta—plus steamed rice were served in one plate so as to save time eating. Luckily, the plate was big enough to carry that much food without getting everything mixed up.


We had Fettucini Carbonara for our pasta. I have a bias for pasta with white sauces so you can expect that I'd find this dish yummy. The noodles were soft yet firm and the sauce has the right amount of cream—not too much that I'd immediately get tired of it; not too little that there would be no more flavor to it. I also liked that it was not too heavy on the stomach, so you'd be able to enjoy the other entrees without feeling that you're ready to burst from all the food.

For our beef dish, we had the Roast Beef ala Lengua Pastel. I thought this dish was delicious because the meat was very soft and tender, but it was a little plain because there was no sauce for added flavor. It was just a slab of meat on the plate. Still, the meat tasted wonderful because its juicyness made up for its lack of sauce. Wow, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

We then had the Chicken Barbecue for our chicken entree. We had a bit of confusion with this dish because our AE told us that it was chicken teriyaki, but it tasted just like chicken barbecue. It was kind of a shock for our taste buds because we really thought we were eating chicken teriyaki when, in fact, it was a different dish altogether. Still, the chicken barbecue was very appetizing because the chicken was savory through and through, from its skin down to its bones. Malasang-malasa talaga.

For our fish entree, we had Fish Fillet with Mayo Garlic Sauce. This dish tasted fine although I was not that impressed because it was just ordinary fish fillet with mayonaisse on it. I couldn't even taste the garlic in the sauce. But my parents and brother thought it was delicious. Oh well, different strokes for different people.

We had Buttered Vegetables with Quail Eggs for our veggie fix. Again, my parents and I have different opinions on this. My mother said the vegetables tasted bland, but my brother and I thought otherwise. We thought it was a delectable dish, with just the right amount of butter to add flavor to the greens. The quail eggs were a nice touch too. And surprisingly, we finished this dish before eating the other entrees—a surprising feat for two non-vegetarians.

For desserts and refreshments, we had Mango Jelly and Iced Tea. After tasting K by Cunanan's raspberry iced tea, I had high hopes for our refreshments, but unfortunately, Quido's iced tea didn't even pass my standards. It was just the ordinary Nestea iced tea drink, and what's even worse, it was tasteless! I might as well been drinking brown water.

And just like our Chicken Barbecue/Chicken Teriyaki fiasco, we were again confused by the Mango Jelly. The AE said it was mango yogurt or mango jelly, but when we tasted it, there was no hint of yogurt or even jello in it. Instead, the mango jelly was sweet and so creamy that it was dripping down my spoon to the table line (sorry to the wedding couple). Some people might find this dessert too sweet though. Nakakaumay kasi siya eh.

Mango Jelly?
VERDICT: There were some hits and misses with the food they served us, but I still found it satisfying enough. For someone with a simple palate, Quido's homestyle cooking was already delicious and filling. Plus, I really liked their setup during the wedding in RMC. Their package is very affordable (57,000 for 120 pax), which already includes a free chocolate fountain and tiffany chairs for all the guests. Of course, you had to pay for the 10%SC, 12%VAT (which can be waived) and a 3,500 delivery charge, but it is still relatively cheaper than the other caterers. They are already accepting bookings for 2014 so I'd be able to lock in their current rates and save a lot of money should I decide to book them. Okay, now I'm confused. I don't know who to pick! I guess I just have to wait once I'd taste Patio de Tata Roque's dishes again before I make a decision.

QUIDO'S GRILL
233A National Road Bayanan, Muntinlupa City
703-6272 /0917-5027472
quidosgrill@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...