November 29, 2012

Designer Meeting # 1: Garrey Garduque of Jose Domingo Bride

I have already booked my wedding gown couturier, but being a fickle-minded bride, I still toyed with the idea of having a designer-made gown. So I set up some meetings with other designers to see whether a custom-made creation would fit my bduget. This was also a good way to get a designer's point of view on my gown pegs. Baka nagmamaganda ako sa gown, yun pala chaka-ness siya. Haha.

My first meeting was with Garrey Garduque of Jose Domingo Bride. He has just started his own clothing line after working with Religioso for about 10 years (if I heard him right). So his rates are still pretty affordable. He initially quoted me P30,000 for my peg, but agreed to lower it to P25,000. Hurray for my haggling skills! Haha. :)

His shop is located in David Building along Shaw Boulevard. The building is a bit scary, parang abandoned building ang drama. Once you enter Garrey's shop, you can see his sewers making some of the dresses. There are also some finished gowns hanging on the side and even some barongs too. I particularly liked the flower girl dresses. They were all so cute! :)

Garrey's style was all about the bride's back. He loves showing it off in his designs, leaving it bare or sometimes covering it up with illusion tulle with embroidery as seen below:


Photo from his website
Photo from his website
This was a plus point for me because this is what I wanted for my wedding gown. During our meeting, he showed me a gown top with tulle overlay and lace appliqués. In fairness, ang ganda nung damit!

I then showed him my chosen peg to get his inputs about it. He liked the design, but he said that a  gown with a drop waist would not look good on me. A natural waist would look better on my frame since it would give me longer legs. He also didn’t like the corset back because he said it was appropriate for a debutante dress, not for my wedding gown. Instead, he suggested a zipper back and pearl buttons. I'll take a note of that. Hehe.

The meeting lasted only about 20 minutes because he was busy finishing all the gowns, especially since it is already the peak season for weddings. He wasn't able to sketch a design though, so I really couldn’t visualize what he wanted for my gown. Sayang!

JOSE DOMINGO BRIDE
Rm 106 David Building, Shaw Boulevard, Mandaluyong
josedomingobride@gmail.com

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. congratulations on the upcoming wedding. It must be very exciting. I am 17 and am doing my debutante ball here in Australia and am looking to have my dress custom made at a bridal store. Do you think it would be worth having a dress designer make my dress? After researching lots of debutante dresses, I have settled on this debutante dress design. Can you give me some advice?

    Love,

    Merryn Stanton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Your chosen peg is very lovely! :) I'm not familiar with the rates of a designer-made gown in Australia, but if you can afford having it custom-made, then I say go for it. :) The advantage of having a designer make your gown is that he/she can immediately tell whether the gown would fit your body type. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...