April 20, 2012

Food Tasting # 4: Ma Del's Cuisine

The hunt for our perfect caterer continues.

Today, I had my fourth food tasting, this time with Ma Del's Cuisine. Since Mox was unable to come because he has work, I brought my younger brother, my mother and my father along to meet with Anj Salvador,  the catering manager of Ma Del's. Just a quick side story, my family tagged along, not because they wanted to be part of the wedding preps, but because they just wanted a free lunch. They still didn't know that we were already actively preparing for our wedding until today! In fact, after the meeting with Anj, my mother quickly began making some wedding demands, like who to invite and what her gown should look like. Lumalabas ang pagiging mother bridezilla ng nanay ko. Haha!

Anyway, today's event was different because instead of the usual grand food tasting setup at some fancy venue, we had a private food tasting at the comforts of Anj's home office in Pasig. The homey experience made us feel at ease, especially my parents because they really didn't know what to expect in a food tasting session. Anj was also very sweet and accommodating, making sure that we were comfortable the whole time. She answered most of our questions efficiently, even humoring my mother's questions when she started comparing Ma Del's buko pandan jello to her own buko pandan dessert. Ako pa ang nahiya! We weren't able to take pictures of our food because we were too excited to dig in. Gutom na kasi eh. Haha.

For the menu. Anj prepared some of Ma Del's bestseller dishes. For the pasta, we had the Fettuccine Italiana. Some of my fellow GTalkers have been raving about this dish, but since I'm not a fan of pasta with tomato sauce, I don't share the same sentiments. Don't get me wrong, the dish tasted fine. I guess I'm just biased towards pasta with white sauces. Maybe for our next food tasting with Anj, I would request for the Fettuccine Carbonara

For the pork dishes, we had Korean Pork and Pork Gallantina with Egg Dressing. The egg dressing for the pork gallantina was rich and tasty, although it was too salty so we asked Anj to tone it down a bit. The Korean pork was a hit; everyone loved this dish because the pork was juicy and full of flavor. This would surely be included in our menu in case we'd book Ma Del's. :)

For the chicken dishes, we had Chicken Teriyaki and Chicken Cordon Bleu. My brother loved the chicken teriyaki because the sauce had the right amount of saltiness and sweetness in it. The chicken cordon bleu also had a special sauce spread on top of it, but I couldn't remember how it tasted like. Nagkahalo-halo na kasi ang lasa nila eh. :(

We only had one beef dish, Roast Beef with Mushroom Gravy, and one seafood dish, Shrimp Tempura. The roast beef was a bit hard and tough to chew, which was a shame because the gravy was delicious. But my brother said his meat was very soft and tender so maybe it was just bad luck. Hehe. The shrimp tempura tasted just like any other shrimp tempura dish out there so I wasn't that impressed.

And for our dessert, we had the fan favorite: Buko Pandan Jello. And now I understand why it earned good reviews from a lot of Ma Del's brides. IT WAS DELICIOUS! The cream was very sweet, but there is no umay factor because the bland jello offsets the creaminess of the cream (forgive the redundancy). The coconut is also very soft that it melts easily in your mouth. Yes, this dessert is the bomb!

Anj also showed us some of their previous setups, which were all very elegant and unique. What I like about Ma Del's is that they offer free event styling. They will execute whatever theme that a couple has in mind without any extra charge. They even had a beach-themed setup, which is a major plus point for me. Here are some of my other favorite Ma Del's setups. Photos were taken from their website.

Autumn theme

Beach theme
Hollywood theme
Japanese theme
 


VERDICT: Ma Del's is a clear winner when it comes to event styling. They give the same attention to themes and details such as the big names like KbyCunanan and Passion Cooks, but with a cheaper price. Their food has that delicious and homey taste that most of us would surely love. Also, out of the four caterers that I've had a food tasting with, Ma Del's has the most affordable rates. Their 2014 calendar will open by October so we would be able to avail of their current rates if we decided to book them this year. Anj is also very hands-on, so I'm sure to get excellent service from them. Honestly, I am already leaning towards Ma Del's, especially since my mother seemed to like them as well. :)

Ma Del's Cuisine
48C Dr. Pilapil St. Sagad, Pasig
641-3423
madelscuisine@yahoo.com


 

4 comments:

  1. Why did we not find this caterer?! Maganda rin designs nila ah and it's good to know that they're more affordable. We signed a contract with K By Cunanan already (hay). I was actually thinking parang ang mahal mahal kaso wala kaming mahanap na ganun din mag design. Sayang!

    By the way, I have an award for you here:
    http://coffeewithkim.blogspot.com/2012/04/why-look-at-that-another-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim!

      I would love to have K by Cunanan or Passion Cooks, but unfortunately, my budget wouldn't let me have them. Haha.

      Thanks for the award sis! It's nice to know that someone reads and appreciates my random ramblings. Hehe. :)

      Delete
  2. hi po... how much yung total wedding package nyo sa ma del's? pls email me naman po... kathrina.guevarra@yahoo.com thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you ready for the best catering newton ma, has to offer? At Justine’s Table we present your taste buds with a wide variety of American culinary traditions.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...