August 14, 2012

DIY: M & N Decoupages

Due to the two-day work suspension caused by the monsoon rains last week (and the fact that I was bored out of my mind), I was finally able to begin one of my DIY projects—paper mache decoupages of our initials—which we will use as props for our freenup this Saturday. I was supposed to make a paper mache heart as well, but since this was a spur-of-the-moment thing, I only had time to make the initials. Oh well, I will probably make the heart afterwards so that we can use all three decoupages as decors for the registration area of our reception venue.

First things first, I needed boxes to make the letters. Luckily I was able to find two large cereal boxes in our kitchen cupboard. They’re the perfect size for my decoupages.

Old cereal boxes
I traced the letters on the boxes and then cut them out. Since I’m a DIY beginner, I chose a font that is big and rounded so that it would be easier to cut and form into 3D letters. Of course, those with better arts-and-crafts experience than me can experiment with fancier fonts.

After more than 3 hours of cutting and taping the boxes, and with a few injuries (I scraped my knuckles on the blade of the tape dispenser), I finally have my cardboard 3D letters. Don’t be scared to use lots of tape to make the letters as this will make them sturdy. I practically used up one roll of scotch tape, which made my dad mad. Nagsasayang lang daw kasi ako ng tape. Haha.

3 hours of cutting and taping = 3D letters
Now it's time to make the paper mache! First, I mixed flour, water and a pinch of salt in one bowl until the batter was smooth and had no lumps. Then I tore strips of newspaper. I brushed the box with the paste, then pasted (wow, redundancy at its best) the newspaper strips onto the box, then brushed it again with the paste to ensure that the strips would stick to the box. Make sure to check the nooks and crannies of each letter to see if there are still parts that are uncovered.

Medyo messy lang. x_x
Let it dry completely then paste another layer of newspaper. I had to let each layer dry overnight since I only had limited time to work on it at night, but it would usually take a couple of hours or so to dry.

Paper mache-ing done!
Since I didn't have time to wrap the letters in nice giftwrappers (plus, I'm scared that' I'd just ruin the whole thing), I painted my letters turquoise. There are a few bumps and lumps due to the newspapers, but I liked it because it gives the letters character. I also decorated the letters with orange felt flowers. See, they even fit our color motif! :)

Finished product!


There, I hope my M & N decoupages passed your DIY standards. For a more detailed explanation (if mine wasn't clear enough, hehe.), you may check out this tutorial. :)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this tutorial! I'm also a DIY bride so this decoupages post is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...